Thursday, February 08, 2007

Orphanage Visit

What an emotional day yesterday. I knew it was going to be full of emotions visiting the orphanage but the finding spot really hit home. We started off our day with the orphanage visit. The Nanny's at Foshan S.W.I are just soooooo loving. You can really see that she was well taken care of. It was neat to see her in the nanny's arms and then to see her little crib. Her name was still labeled on the crib so we took a picture of it. She spent sometime playing with the other kids in the orphanage and then one of the Nanny's gave her a plastic ball from the ball bin in the playroom (what a keepsake). We got lots and lots of pictures (Foshan yahoo gang - got all your pics but can't seem to send emails) Try emailing me at debbie.ingram@sympatico.ca and I'll see if I can reply to them.

The afternoon was spent visiting the finding spots. Olivia's was the first one closest to the orphanage. She was left in a flower market in an area with lots of locals. Just walking up to the spot made me break down. I couldn't imagine her birth mom having to do that walk and actually leave her, it just breaks our hearts. We bought some flowers from the market lady and I broke down again. She wanted 15 yuan and we gave her 100yuan. You should have seen the excitement, it was like she won the lottery. Our hearts were just aching and we couldn't dare ask for change. She ran in the market and screamed out to everyone what just happened. Everyone in our group now thinks it is going to spread through the town about the caucasion couple who gave her a huge tip and has a Chinese baby. If that birth mom finds out that Olivia has a home - WHAT A GIFT!!! Our hearts are still dropped at all the emotions. I can't explain in words what yesterday meant to us. Anyone who is doing this trip after us, make sure you do your finding spot if nothing else. I'm telling you it is a gift beyond words!

Here's a couple pics from our day. As you can see in the finding spot family pic, we were full of tears and couldn't get a smile out.





--------------------oOo--------------------

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can not imagine the emotions you are all going through. Just know that Olivia has two loving parents and will have a fantastic life because of you. Cant wait for that moment to happen to Paula and Brett.Many Congratulations you have a lovely lovely daughter.
From Paula's Mum Pauline

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just seeing that picture brought tears to me. So difficult and so special at the same time. Thanks for sharing, Deb. Take Care
-Torrie

7:41 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

How bittersweet.

She was surrounded by quite some beauty when she was left there. You, her parents, will see that little bud bloom.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

This post moved me to tears!

8:30 PM  
Blogger The Robertsons said...

Debbie, now you can leave China knowing how well loved and cared for Olivia was while she was waiting for you- a precious gift indeed

8:37 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow- powerful stuff, Deb. Olivia looks like she's feeling better. SO must you!

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & kirk,
What a beautiful and emotional spot that was for you all. I have been following your posts and pictures. I printed the picture of the 3 of you so I could show my coworkers my new cousin. She is beautiful and I am soooo happy for you all.
Love, Your cousin, Nicie in AZ

9:06 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

Wow - You certainly have something special to share with Olivia when she is older.

I just can't imagine the emotions that you must have been going through today - and every day since you arrived in China.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm speechless. Beautiful - something you'll never forget
I'm full of tears...again.
Love to you all - Shell

9:59 PM  
Blogger Special K said...

Amazing story for Olivia. A very special moment indeed. And to have some peace knowing that she was loved and cared for so well by the nannies is such a gift.

10:38 PM  
Blogger 3 Countries 1 Love said...

So glad you were able to visit the SWI and see firsthand how wonderful and loving the nannies are. I still feel blessed to this day that Vivi was so loved during her first year of life. All the best.....

Shannon
(mom to a Nanhai beauty)

10:48 PM  
Blogger Calico Sky said...

I just read K's blog about this and jumped to yours...
Still crying, so beautiful to see how O has come full circle (placed there, to orphanage, a family,back to orphanage and where she was found).
Still crying.
How wonderful you took the time to see this important piece of her life.
I am so very very very happy for you and your daughter!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Steffie B. said...

Beautiful memories.....I had tears in my eyes just reading your post. I'm so happy for you!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trip is quite a roller coaster ride of emotions. I'm glad to hear you got to visit the orphanage. It is nice to be able to piece together their lives before you met them.

6:39 AM  
Blogger 4D said...

What an extraordinary day. One that you will treasure always.

Keep smilin!

9:28 AM  
Blogger redmaryjanes said...

I am tearing up just reading about your day. How amazing. Our agency says we won't be able to see the orphanage. I hope that we will be able to go to the finding spot.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mom 2 Meizhi and Kiomi said...

Deb-
Oh my! You are soo sweet and fortunate to have such a great visit and flower market- oh my! and the crib? and the ball? Oh my!
What joyous things. Of course, I know your heart aches for her past and her birth mom...have peace in knowing Olivia will now forever had you as her mommmy...the past is the past. Giant hugs and glad to hear what a good day it was
Erin & Meizhi

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jill and Jaap said...

Oh how emotional Debbie and Kirk!

But what a great gift to go to the Orphanage and the finding spot!

Beautiful post and pictures, and lovely story about the lady at the flower shop!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

What a fantastic opportunity that must have been. So full of emotion and so special to you. I hope we'll be able to find our finding place once we go.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Emmie said...

What an amazing experience! We didn't get to visit Sophia's orphanage or her finding spot! The director of the orphanage wouldn't allow us to go there. Instead we met the babies at the civils affairs office in Hunan. Well, hope you continue to have a great trip! Love the pics, keep em comming!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home